KBR is a purely voluntary site run by busy women with demanding careers and personal lives. We are consistently swamped with review copies and requests, so the majority of our reviews are for solicited books only.
Review requests are accepted during the months of February, June and November only, to Susan Whelan at susanATkids-bookreviewDOTcom. Please make your email succinct, include full book details, a cover image, a press release or AIS, and direct links to the book (we cannot assess the likelihood of review from a book title alone). Please do not email an electronic copy of your book. We cannot offer feedback on why books aren't chosen for review. Please don't follow up on requests; we will be in touch if we choose to review.
PLEASE read all dot-points below on our conditions for review before emailing us.
Unless you are a trade publisher or have an established relationship with us, we never respond to bulk mail-outs or requests that fail to address us by name. Demanding behaviour is not appreciated. We provide reviews voluntarily; please play nice.
- We cannot advise if or when a review will be posted.
- It can take a few days, a few weeks or 6 months or more for a review to appear.
- Please don't send follow-up emails (or phone us) regarding reviews.
- We are no longer able to email links once a review is posted. Do check the site frequently for reviews, or use our search function. You can also look for titles in our A-Z listing. This is updated weekly.
- We reserve the right to choose whether or not to review all books received, even those solicited.
- We do prefer books available in Australian bookstores.
- It is rarely that we review a self-published book, unless it is of publishing house standard. We are not anti-self-publishing, we are pro-brilliance. We very rarely accept didactic, heavily message-driven books.
- We do occasionally review ebooks however require instant download from iTunes for iPad.
- Please don't send us galleys, proofs, mockups nor PDFs or any other electronic book versions (unless we have already agreed to provide a pre-publication quote, of course).
- We cannot return books and do not advise of receipt of books.
We welcome guest posts from anyone with a love of children's literature. And yes, you can link to your site or book. See here for guidelines and details. We also welcome appropriate news and event listings. All contributions from guest-posters are unpaid. Please do NOT contact us regarding guest posts if you are from a nanny site, a gaming site, a travel site or any other site completely unrelated to children's books.
We also welcome requests for author, illustrator and industry professional interviews. We only hold interviews by email, not telephone. Contact us here to inquire.