I’m a science nerd and have a PhD in cell biology. I’ve just started writing a children’s adventure story incorporating my knowledge about the wonder of cells.
2. What is your nickname?
3. What is your greatest fear?
Losing someone dear to me. Being told I can’t use ellipses anymore …
4. Describe your writing style in 10 words.
From the heart. Based on life experience.
Lots of ellipses …
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
Determined, emotional, empathetic, succinct, quirky
6. What book character would you be, and why?
Silky the Fairy from Enid Blyton’s The Enchanted Forest. Who wouldn’t want to live in a tree with entertaining neighbours, eat pop cakes and visit fantastical lands?
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
2089. The year my daughter turns 80. I’d love to see how she lives, hear about her life adventures and meet her family and friends. Plus, how fascinating would it be to see how science and technology have progressed.
8. What would your 10-year-old self say to you now?
Interesting … I thought we wanted to be a dolphin trainer.
9. Who is your greatest influence?
The many people I’ve met, particularly my daughter.
10. What/who made you start writing?
Reading picture books to my daughter. It was eye-opening to see the effect they’ve had on her. I’m now a proud mum to an eight-year-old book worm.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Discombobulated. I love the way the word rolls around your mouth.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Lord of the Rings, or anything by Juliet Marillier.
Wenda Shurety was raised in the beautiful county of Norfolk, in England, and now resides in Brisbane, with her supportive husband, cheeky daughter and two rescue dogs, Nellie and Nemo. Wenda loves to write children’s stories with heart; whether it involves diversity, science or the magical world of the imagination. Her first picture book is Eva's Imagination, illustrated by Karen Erasmus. For more information, see www.wendashurety.com.