I love to sing.
2. What is your nickname?
Dee, but only to my parents.
3. What is your greatest fear?
All the usual ones for my family. Apart from that, not being able to write.
4. Describe your writing style in ten words.
Sometimes it comes in a big long curly waving excited rush and then I have to cross out all the extra words.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
Dedicated, thoughtful, imaginative, intuitive, passionate. (That was a very hard question!)
6. What book character would you be, and why?
Of my books? Nim, because she’s braver than I am and she’s good at having fun.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
1585 BC because that’s when I think the story I’m writing now is set. But only if I had a return ticket.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
You did it!
9. Who is your greatest influence?
On wanting to become a writer: my parents.
Writers who influenced me: Rosemary Sutcliffe; Rumer Godden
10. What/who made you start writing?
The love of stories, books and being read to goes back earlier than I can remember; the passion for reading books for myself – and perhaps the start of wanting to write them – wasn’t till I was nearly 7. We lived in France, so I’d learned to read and write with rather boring French readers. However one night before we moved back to Canada, my parents left three Dick and Jane readers on my bedside table for me to find. I’ve never forgotten the thrill of reading real stories in my own language!
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Serendipity, because it describes how most of the important things in my life have happened. I also like the sound of it. (Now look it up!)
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Possession by AS Byatt. It’s beautifully written, has three complex stories tied into one, one of them all in poetry. And it’s very long.
Please be sure to go to Wendy's website to find out more about her wonderful books.
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions,
OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW!
We will see if they are up to the task. Just email: kellyATkids-bookreviewDOTcom