I have the nose of a bloodhound! No smell escapes my nostrils!
2. Do you have a nickname?
Plenty! Demsim, Dem, Demi. Damn it.
3. What is your greatest fear?
Heights give me pins and needles!
4. Can you describe your writing style for us in ten words?
A magical road of discovery, words, worlds and characters.
5. What are five positive words that describe you as a writer?
Never gives up on dreams.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables. Like Anne, I talk A LOT, dream, romanticize and am clumsy.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
When I was eight, we briefly moved to Turkey in the 80s. In my first lesson, my teacher asked me to stand in front of the class and read a line from a book to test my Turkish. I froze up and was too scared to read the first word which was “ev” (house). I would go back to that day and have a go.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
“Yay! You don’t look like a boy anymore!”
9. Who is your greatest influence?
My loved ones.
10. What or who made you start writing?
Books! Reading till all hours of the morning, meeting angry, funny, quirky, romantic, courageous characters made me want to create some of my own!
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Magic. It’s in the little things in life.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
The Alchemist so I never lose sight of life’s miracles.
Demet Divaroren is the co-editor (with Amra Pajalic) of Coming of Age: Growing Up Muslim in Australia. Featuring the stories of twelve contributors of various backgrounds, this collection explores the diversity of the Muslim experience in Australia. The book is published by Allen & Unwin and is scheduled for release in January 2014. Demet and Amra are also co-authors of the book What a Muslim Woman Looks Like. Visit Demet's website to find our more about her books and latest news and events.
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions,
OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW!
We will see if they are up to the task. Just email: susanATkids-bookreviewDOTcom