I’m nearly six feet tall!
2. Do you have a nickname and if so, what is it?
3. What is your greatest fear?
I often dream of being lost in a forest at night, and I wake up terrified.
4. Can you describe your writing style for us in ten words?
My style is based on actual real events and real people
5. Can you give us five positive words that describe you as a writer?
Storyteller. Unpretentious. Truthful. Imaginative. Deep.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
I’m presently trying to write about the 70s. 1977 to be specific and it’s hard remembering the details!
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
Take heart! Have a go! Don’t worry about looking like an idiot.
9. Who is your greatest influence?
My greatest influence might well be the Irish writer Maeve Binchy. I love her attitude to writing. So warm, intelligent and completely unpretentious.
10. What or who made you start writing?
I’ve always loved books. To write one seemed like a dream come true.
11. What is your favorite word and why?
My favorite word would have to be ‘suddenly’. I use it too much. I’m not sure why. But when I come to the end of a draft I have to check each page to make sure that it hasn’t got the better of me!
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life what would it be?
Well I guess it had better be a big one! So I’ll go for War and Peace. I first read that when I was about seventeen and it took me the best part of six months. (I skipped a lot of the boring bits) I reckon a proper reread might keep me occupied for a few years.
Maureen McCarthy is an Australian author of books for children and teens. Her novels include The Covenant, Rose by Any Other Name and the bestselling Queen Kat, Carmel and St Jude Get a Life, which was made into a 4-part mini-series for ABC TV. Her latest novel is Stay With Me, published by Allen & Unwin.
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions,
OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW!
We will see if they are up to the task. Just email: susanATkids-bookreviewDOTcom