Driving through Sydney's Darling Point one evening I nearly ran over Tom Cruise (accidentally).
2. What is your nickname?
Wal. I forget why. But I have a group of mates and we are all called "Wal".
3. What is your greatest fear?
I have pupophobia. Fear of puppets.
4. Describe your writing style in ten words.
It is very simple and clean, and so much fun.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
Uncomplicated. Cheeky. Well-spelt. Readable.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
Jack Reacher. For no other reason than he never washes his clothes. He goes into Kmart every other day and buys a new set. Jack knows freedom.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
That would be 1975. I'm in a dingy little bar in Gainesville, Florida sipping on two fingers of Colonel E.H. Taylor bourbon.
I'm listening to a band called Mudcrutch playing "Depot Street." They're pretty good. Especially the singer.
Turns out his name is Tom Petty.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
Well done on not smoking. But you could have slip slop slapped more often. Look what you've done to my skin!
9. Who is your greatest influence?
Mum and Dad. Clever, successful, loving people who never discouraged adventure.
10. What/who made you start writing?
At Churchie in Brisbane I had a fantastic teacher in Bill Milligan, who fostered confidence in my writing. Then I got a job in newspapers. Deadlines encourage you to write whether you feel like it or not.
I was born in the bush, pre-tv. That means lots of reading. Sooner or later you get to writing.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Daddy. The different inflections my daughters give it - and sometimes my wife - sound beautiful every time.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
On The Road by Jack Kerouac.
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions,
OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW!
We will see if they are up to the task. Just email: susanATkids-bookreviewDOTcom