I have one pointy ear and one round ear.
2. What is your nickname?
Pen. Not a bad nickname for a writer. Better than ‘Keyboard’.
3. What is your greatest fear?
Hmm … such a fun question … I’m trying to choose between being burnt to death or watching a loved one’s hot air balloon explode. But for the sake of a jovial interview, I’ll go with touching a slug.
4. Describe your writing style in ten words.
I like to rhyme most of the time. Not always.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
Persistent, playful, purposeful, penniless and (most exciting) published.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
Since I was little I always wanted to be positive like Pollyanna.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
This question’s too easy—30 AD. I’ve always thought it would be amazing to meet Jesus in person, hear him speak, see him healing people and all the other miraculous things he did.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
‘Let’s go roller-skating.’
9. Who is your greatest influence?
The greatest influence on my writing is my writers’ group. Without them I would have given up long ago. I pay a lot of attention to what they think works and changes they suggest in my stories.
10. What/who inspired you to start writing?
I wanted fun Christian books to read at my church playgroup and had an idea for one. I didn’t know how to get it published, so I went to a ‘Writing for Children’ course and was soon addicted.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Squelch. Obviously, it’s just so squelchy. And it gets better if you keep saying it—squelch, squelch, squelch.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I read the Bible every day, so that’s an easy choice. But what if I choose one with tiny print? It would be so small that I could choose a second book, right? I never get tired of Anne of Green Gables.
Penny Morrison is an Australian children's author living in Sydney. Her books include several Christian books and resources for children including The Mighty Mighty King Christmas Book and the Dynamites Music program. Her latest book is Captain Sneer the Buccaneer, published by Walker Books. Visit Penny Morrison's website for more information about her books and writing.