I like to keep secrets.
2. What is your nickname?
Most people just call me by my name, Bernadette, but some of my close friends call me bk.
3. What is your greatest fear?
Rejections from publishers, but most writers get them from time to time.
4. Describe your writing style in ten words.
I like to research, plan, and keep true to the story.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
curious enthusiastic optimistic spontaneous methodical
6. What book character would you be, and why?
Thowra the Silver Brumby, because he spent his life roaming the beautiful Australian high country. How wonderfully free and exhilarating to be the king of the Brumbies, galloping wild and free across the high plains.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
31BC - During the time of the Roman Empire. I would love to live and experience what life was like then, although if I had a choice I think I would rather live as an Empress in a Roman palace rather than be a downtrodden slave girl, or maybe the Empress's pampered horse!
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
I didn't think you could do it but I'm really glad you did.
9. Who is your greatest influence?
Elynne Mitchell, author of the Silver Brumby series.
10. What/who made you start writing?
I enrolled in a professional writing course after reading an article in the Melbourne Age.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Isosceles. Something about the way it rolls off the tongue . . .
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
The Silver Brumby or The Hobbit or Harry Potter or . . . wait . . . only one book for my whole life? Impossible to contemplate.
Learn more about Bernadette and her books at www.bernadettekelly.com.au and click here to read our post on this talented author's popular range of pony-related books.