I can make my tongue touch my nose.
2. What is your nickname?
Rissy to my family and Mum to my children.
3. What is your greatest fear?
The thought of being trapped in a small dark tunnel that becomes smaller as you crawl along terrifies me.
4. Describe your writing style in ten words?
Adverb dominated, generally pacy, gently humourous, slightly dark with some surprises.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
Dedicated, disciplined, imaginative, fun and empathic.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
Aslan because he is in charge.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
I’d travel to Year 1 so I could see how the world looked when it was brand new.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
I’m so happy you finally wrote a book!
9. Who is your greatest influence?
My family is my greatest influence.
10. What/who made you start writing?
I have always wanted to be a writer – my eldest daughter inspired me because her love of reading reminded me of myself as a child and this long held ambition. I felt it was now or never.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Like Anna my favourite word is crevasse. I like it because it sounds graceful but is perilous – it is a word that promises excitement.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I’d read Lord of the Rings – if one book meant the collection that would be great but if I had to choose one it would be Fellowship of the Rings.
Maree Fenton-Smith's debut novel, Creatures of Magic, is published by Walker Books and was released in October 2013. It is available in all good bookstores and online for $19.95 RRP.
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions, OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW! We will see if they are up to the task.
Just email: susanATkids-bookreviewDOTcom