How could I keep a talent hidden when I’m such an exhibitionist? Maybe this is why I can calm any small distressed child as soon as I engage them!
2. Who is your favourite literary villain and why?
Mr Twit and his wife are utterly disgusting but also thoroughly entertaining.
3. You're hosting a literary dinner party, which five authors would you invite? (alive or dead)
My husband Bill Condon (the wittiest person I know), and some favourite writers: Anne Cassidy, Colin McNaughton, Betsy Byars and Dr Seuss
4. Which literary invention do you wish was real?
If I had a time machine I would go back to when I was young and silly and make wiser life choices
5. What are five words that describe your writing process?
Difficult, difficult, difficult, difficult – is that five?
6. Which are the five words you would like to be remembered by as a writer?
Thought-provoking, passionate, ground-breaking, entertaining, honest
7. Picture your favourite writing space. What are five objects you would find there?
Photos of children I love, my husband Bill and special pens
8. Grab the nearest book, open it to page 22 and look for the second word in the first sentence. Now, write a line that starts with that word. (Please include the name of the book!)
Shanks my cat was a people mauler and sometime killer. (From Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl)
9. If you could ask one author one question, what would the question be and who would you ask?
I would ask Roald Dahl if I could sit silently beside him as he wrote so I could work out how he created books loved by children all over the world.
10. Which would you rather do: 'Never write another story or never read another book'?
I could live without writing, but I could never live without reading.
Di Bates is an Australian author and freelance writer who has written more than 120 children's books. Her recent books include A Game of Keeps, The Girl in the Basement, and Nobody's Boy. Di is also the editor of children's publishing industry e-zine Buzzwords Magazine. Her latest books are the first two titles in a series by Big Sky Publishing, Awesome Animals:Dogs and Awesome Animals: Cats. Visit Di's website, Enterprising Words, to find out more about books and writing projects.