|image: Amanda James|
1. Tell us something hardly anyone knows about you.
I drink out of the bottle sometimes when I am home alone. Naughty.
2. What is your nickname?
Doc or Dr. Hot as 'Heiss' means hot in German.
3. What is your greatest fear? Rejection from those I love.
4. Describe your writing style in ten words. Focused. Planned. Structured. Researched. Caffeine-assisted (two words). Authentic. Conversational. Intentional. Incomplex.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
Authentic, fun, witty, motivated, passionate.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
I think I’d be Cinderella. Let’s face it, she finally gets her Prince Charming. I would like to meet him one day too.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
2068. I would be 100 and I hope the planet is functioning, the environment is thriving and people are living sustainable lives.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
Why didn’t you read more instead of playing cricket in the street?
9. Who is your greatest influence?
My parents – even thought my Dad has passed away, I still wonder what he would think or say about an important decision I may have to make.
10. What/who made you start writing?
I started writing seriously when I realised that the Australian literary landscape was lacking diversity especially in terms of Aboriginal stories and voices.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Chocolate – it just works with every emotion, setting, sense, and all my protagonists love it as much as I do!
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Once there was a Boy by Dub Lefler – a kids' picture book. It is a beautiful story about friendship and forgiveness, with illustrations to warm the heart.
Anita's latest children's book, Harry's Secret, is out now (Scholastic). Learn more about Anita and her books and work at anitaheiss.com
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions,
OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW!
We will see if they are up to the task. Just email: susanATkids-bookreviewDOTcom