I'm trying really hard to be good at running but I'm really bad at it.
2. What is your nickname?
My actual name is "Jonathan" so I guess "Jon" is my nickname.
3. What is your greatest fear?
Snakes. All of them.
4. Describe your writing style in ten words.
Deciding how to tell it decides how the story goes.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
careful, trusting, hopeful, economic, learning
6. What book character would you be, and why?
I'm reading The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy right now and the title character has a pretty good thing going. His life seems quiet, which is something I'm increasingly interested in. I haven't finished it yet though, so maybe it doesn't end well for him.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
I wouldn't want to go too far back. Maybe the beginning of the 20th century or a few decades into it. I live in Los Angeles now and Los Angeles when it was a new-ish city is something I think I would like to see.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
Probably some dumb joke but he'd say it wrong and we'd laugh anyway. He'd be happy to hear that I ended up living someplace warm.
9. Who is your greatest influence?
I don't know if I could say for sure. I think about my grandfather a lot, though.
10. What/who made you start writing?
I always liked writing, but illustrating made me start doing the kind of writing I do now. I'm an illustrator and I wanted to make books, and the best way to illustrate the kind of books you want to illustrate is to write them yourself.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
"gently" - I like how you kind of have to say it gently.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I like Steinbeck a lot and I have East of Eden sitting by my bed and I've started it like 3 times but keep getting sidetracked even though I really like what I've read of it. Maybe if it was the only book I was allowed to read I'd finally actually read it.
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions,
OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW!
We will see if they are up to the task. Just email: susanATkids-bookreviewDOTcom